Long Island Orchid Society Forum

...where members GROW
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SCALES!!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:34 pm 

Hi All,

SCALES! Scales on my Cymbidiums! These little suckers seem to appear overnight! In spite of the fact that I was present for Carol Allen's wonderful lecture, I am still having a problem determining the difference between; Brown Soft Scales & Hemispherical Scales. Or am I witnessing both? Some of the scales do have domes and some of them are very flat... Not sure if the flat ones are "nymphs."

Needless to say, I was ready to do what I could to prevent these little suckers from spreading to my other orchids. I brought each and everyone that I felt was suspect to these little insects outside, and gave them a heavy dose of sun-oil (Thank You Rita). And now I am watching closely...

I have a few questions:

First, should I treat my whole collection with sun-oil? Or only treat the orchids that I see a sign of infestation?

Second, In-order to spray efficiently, will the sun-oil damage my root system?

Finally, how often should I spray? Should I just wait to see a sign of more scales? Or should I start a "maintenance" type of program? Spraying once every two weeks, once a month, etc.

Please note that I am a windowsill grower; however, I do place my orchids out-of-doors during the warmer months. Also, a few of the orchids that I did find scales, I had purchased on ebay. But I have to say, these orchids were well worth the money, and these seller are quite reputable. Other cymbidiums I had newly acquired from different situations.

In conclusion, I would recommend all newly acquired orchids to be quarantined for a couple of months, just to prevent a full scale outbreak!

Thanks, Claudia